It is our hope that you decide to become a Resource Parent, as there are many children in foster care right here in San Diego County. If becoming a Resource Family is not possible at this time, there are other ways that you can be of significant help, such as: of ways such as:
RAISE PUBLIC AWARENESS
- Distribute information about the need for Resource Families in your community.
- Share compelling stories to newsletters, advocacy groups, bulletin boards, public service announcements, parent/teacher organizations, community centers, web sites and special interest groups.
WRITE, VISIT, FAX, PHONE, OR E-MAIL YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS
- Request that your governor, state legislators and mayor proclaim the month of May as National Foster Care Month. Send personalized letters to your elected officials with information about the adoption system in your own community.
- Notify your U.S. Representative and Senators about foster care month activities.
SPONSOR OR CO-SPONSOR AN EVENT
- Organize an event such as a dinner, coffee gathering, picnic, auction, etc. Invite foster families, community activists, elected officials and your friends and encourage them to hold their own events.
- Recruit members of your organization, church, workplace, neighborhood or community center to volunteer to support foster families or to become foster or adoptive parents.
- Request the assistance of your religious and business leaders in building Foster Care Month awareness in the community
DISTRIBUTE PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS IN YOUR COMMUNITY
- Post information on your personal/organizational web site.
- Distribute foster care fact sheets, bumper stickers, book marks/inserts, banners and other materials with Foster Care information.
- Request that your local grocery stores print foster care messages on their bags
- Community / Business support
- Kinship Caregivers
- Respite care provider
WHERE TO PLACE PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS
- Beauty shops, barber shops, and restaurants (placemats or menus)
- Bus/taxi placards and bus benches
- Bowling sheets
- Community fairs and special events
- Hospitals, clinics, and doctors offices
- Local weekly newspapers, ethnic or religious newspapers, free advertiser-supported papers, and organization newsletters
- In telephone bills, utility bills, bank statements, and local employee envelopes
- Family attractions in local community and theme parks
- Flyers on pizza boxes
- Local businesses (Request that foster care message be used instead of music for part or all of May –National Foster Care Month- while callers are placed on hold.)
OTHER PLACES TO PROMOTE ADOPTION AND FOSTER CARE AWARENESS
- Radio and TV talk show interviews
- Fraternities and sororities
- Advertising agencies
- Your own office or work place
- Your church
Please do not underestimate what you can personally contribute to our recruitment of new families. Your help is essential and your efforts may directly influence someone to become a foster parent.
If you have any suggestions, questions, or want more information about how you can help, we encourage you to call us toll free: 1-877-792-KIDS (5437) and ask to speak with a Recruitment Specialist in Foster and Adoptive Resource Family Services.
For Brouchures and or Promotional Items, please contact: Arleth Rubio (Arleth.Rubio@sdcounty.ca.gov)
On behalf of our children in foster care who deserve to be cared for by loving dedicated people, we appreciate whatever help and support you can provide!